Thursday, August 26, 2010

Nelly-Belle

Hi! A gift!

Who knows how many miles?
The odometer hasn't worked in years.
But, you helped me move seven separate times. . .

Three different state license plates,
Speeding Tickets in at least four jurisdictions;
One wreck in Atlanta and
One screwdriver left as a bonus in the backseat when you were stolen, went to see the Jefferson Memorial, and then came back to me;
At least five national parks and twenty-three different states;
Fourteen years, from twenty to thirty-four.

A great car.
You traveled!

Back and forth to Athens, hauling my laundry and everything else;
Up to D.C., across the country, way out west. . .
Over the Rockies--radiator blew out-- but you survived, delivering us
To Seattle.

You climbed up and down Seattle's hills, faithfully, year after year;
Took us on adventures in Montana and Oregon, rode the ferries of Puget Sound.
We went camping and you
Accompanied me to mental hospitals, to jails and out on the town.

You rode in style back to Georgia,
But weren't too tired for another trip to Chicago and back;
You worked for the Obama campaign, then
Moved us into our first house and brought our baby home from the hospital.

My history is your history.

How can I leave you, then,
For just five-hundred dollars
In a dealer's lot?



Good-bye, dear friend! I hope you're off to new adventures!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope she's off on new adventures as well. She'll always be smiling in our memories!!!