Saturday, September 15, 2012

New Year, New Blog

Tomorrow is the start of Rosh Hashanah, which although I'm not Jewish, I have always felt makes sense as the start of a new year.  Being with Peter, who is Jewish and observes the high holidays, has only sharpened this sensibility for me.  Perhaps it's because I've spent so much time in school generally in my life, that the fall seems like a new beginning.  Or, maybe it's because my birthday is in the fall, so it is actually my own personal new year.  Or, maybe it's because when you live in the south, the first few crisp mornings after months of unrelenting heat, truly feel like a renewal of the world.  Add to this the recent damage to our house by a fallen tree and the rebirth we're experiencing as construction gets started to complete the sense of starting things afresh. Well, whatever it is, I am fully embracing it and declaring a new year.  Right now!

I have been particularly excited for the fall this year, and Mira and I have already started putting up some pumpkin decorations, which make me so happy. Tomorrow, I am starting a meditation class in an effort to combat some of the stress of juggling my job & family, and that also feels like the kind of thing one might undertake at the beginning of a new year.

In any case, all of this is to say that I am going to be playing in the next few months with the format of this blog. This blog is now almost 5 years old and has shifted from a travel log detailing Peter's and my adventures all over the globe and then as we settled in Georgia, to one sporadically recounting our experiences as new parents. I have been inspired by a few friends, most notably Emily Lieberman of Seattle, whose excellent cooking blog  http://emmycooks.com/ , is both a fun read with lots of good recipe ideas, and a nice way to hear the voice of a friend from a distance. I would like to have a reliable outlet for creative-ish writing that does not always depend on sharing what is going on in my personal life, but still allows our friends and family some way to connect with what our lives are like.

I have considered a cooking blog, and you may see some recipes here from time to time, but there are already so many good ones out there (another favorite is my friend Indu Chugani's:  Fresh. Simple. Good., found at :   http://freshsimplegood.blogspot.com/.)  I do love to cook and will no doubt continue experimenting in the kitchen, but I think I'd like to devote this space to writing about my attempts to garden, which have been so inspiring to me, even though one would hardly call me a successful gardener at this point. In addition, it is something that Mira and I have really enjoyed together and I love the way it has allowed me to be in tune with the seasons and nature, even in the midst of our very chaotic lives.  It is also something that I will be working on quite a bit in the next year, I imagine, as the fallen tree has completely reconfigured our yard, and given us a lot of sun in the backyard, which used to be totally shaded. I thought it might be fun to record my muddling here, along with pictures of our progress and (of course) adorable Mira. I also hope that you will also share your tips and stories of muddling in your garden (or even with potted plants) with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, wait! I came over here to see baby pictures and found something so much better--that I'm going to get to hear about your family's adventures on a much more regular basis! I'm so excited--we miss you so much. I'm glad it shows that I'm having fun writing--the daily 45 minutes of silent contemplation and writing is really a gift. I'm adding you to my blog reader now! Give my love to your family. :) xo