Thursday, May 8, 2008

More Paris

Last I left off, I had given a hurried account of our first day in Paris. Let me clarify that I write from the Madagascar town of Fianar, a few hours south of the capitol, where internet connections are very slow, so I don,t know just when I will be able to get you photos.

In any case, one of the best moments of Paris, as I said , was my first sight of it coming off the metro. After Robyn and I settled into our quaint little left bank , latin quarter hotel, we set off right away, knowing time was short. We stopped at a little bakery/ sandwich shop down from the hotel and got lunches of baguette sandwiches, an orangina and a little fruit tart each. We ate them, delighted, on q bench next to the river RIGHT across from Nortre Dame. It was amazing! We then crossed the bridge and went in to the church. Robyn had made sure that I, the unitiated to France, didn,t leave it off our list ... and that was a good call. It was, of course astounding in its grandeur, scope and detail.

We moved on from there to the St. Chappelle, a nearby cathedral famed for its stained glass. The line looked much too long, so we thought would move on and try again the next day.

You know wha we did the rest of the day.

At night we took the metro to a bistro we found in the book Tracy and David gave us, but it was closed so we meandered down the street, picked from one of many other options and had a lovely dinner in a charming cozy bistro. We enjoyed the house red .. and eating in close quarters with Parisians. We were off to a great start.

No comments: